top of page

Public Transport

Basics on Public Transport


Public transportation in the Seattle area includes bus, rail, and water services.  


The easiest option for paying for public transit is to get an Orca Card. An Orca Card is a reusable card that you load with money and then use to ride most forms of public transit in the area. More information is here:  ​



Reduced-Fare Transit Passes


Reduced-fare Orca cards are available for seniors (over 65), youth (6-18) people with disabilities, low-income individuals, and people who qualify for another state benefit (more information below).



Residents of King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties who are at or below 80% of the federal poverty level and are enrolled in one of six state benefit programs can obtain a subsidized annual pass valid for travel on King County Metro and Sound Transit services. Eligible customers can receive a subsidized annual pass at DSHS, Public Health, and Catholic Community Services across King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties. 

Currently, the six state benefit programs are: 

  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)/State Family Assistance (SFA) 

  • Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) 

  • Aged, Blind, or Disabled Cash Assistance (ABD) 

  • Pregnant Women Assistance (PWA)
    Not to be confused with WIC or Pregnancy Medical 

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    Not to be confused with Social Security Income or SSDI 

  • Housing & Essential Needs (HEN)
    Not to be confused with housing assistance such as HUD 

bottom of page